Thursday 5 July 2012

WORLD IN NEED OF LOVE-JESUS LOVE!

Sup people!Hope you had an awesome day and week. I've had a pretty tough one with a few ups and downs.I feel absolutely drained!!!...but it's all good.On to the story of the day, enjoy and feel free to comment:

 Today, I went shopping with a good friend of mine and on the way saw a lady squatting on the road. Yeah, sounds like a casual incidence but there was more to it than revealed. Let me try re-describe the scenario. On the roadside was a woman squatting; huddled in some way. She had partly covered her face with an dirty old headscarf as if to cover something that was meant to stay hidden. If one looked close enough they would see that she had a serious eye wound because on it, she had a bloodied eye patch. She was clothed in an old dress that seemed to have seen a few to many days for its lifetime, but I guessed that was all she had. 

At first glance, I thought that she was one of those beggars; waiting and timing people on the road so as to ask for 'a little' something. However, I quickly dismissed it because I felt that there was something strange and almost scary about her. Then again, I thought she was one of those women who pose as troubled people and attack when helped, but I wasn't sure. My guards were high and I got a bit apprehensive, actually that's an understatement: a lot apprehensive.

"What if she's a thug and has accomplices nearby? What if she is the thug? Avoid! Avoid! Don't even make eye contact!" I told myself quietly as we got closer.

As we got closer I noticed that she did not look normal. I don't mean ghost-like or  like a freak of nature, no. She looked sick physically, perhaps even mentally. It was as if she had been through so much suffering that words could not begin describe her story. 

There was a demeanor about her that could not go unnoticed. She had an air of strength, defiance, rebellion, some sort of roughness probably acquired from what she had experienced in her life. Yet at the same time some level of fear and introvert tendencies. Being the person I am, seeing the indication of such a bad wound left me feeling queasy and coupled my fears. I hate seeing blood or evidence of a really bad wound, and that one there seemed to be one ghastly one

I started to cross the road to the other side, doing my best not to look at her and my oh my didn't I get the fright of my life when she rose to her feet. She started approaching us as if coming to either ask as for something but I walked as fast as I could gesturing that she shouldn't come towards us and that we couldn't help her; may be some other time.  

It sounds mean but you can't blame me for that. I was scared off my socks and was not sure what to expect. With the current state of affairs in our country, the number one rule is to trust no one, especially not strangers because it can land you in trouble. No matter how sweet, innocent or troubled one looks- walk away because it can be a trap to endanger you. With this in mind you can empathize with my school of thought.

As soon as we had crossed I breathed a breath of relief, perhaps even one of "Thank God, we're safe!".  I began chatting with my friend and apologized for having seemed mean. She casually said it was okay but later explained that according to her, the woman was not coming to beg. Instead she was shooing us away; from the look of things may be what she had was contagious so she was warning us to stay away.  Her speculation was that the lady might have had leprosy or something along those lines.

On hearing that I felt a pang of guilt. "How could I be so unfeeling?" I asked myself. The saddest thing about the whole ordeal was that even if we wanted to help after that how could we? We asked ourselves if there were any hospitals or medical offices nearby that we could call and direct their personnel to her but there were none. The question that began to gnaw at the back of my head was "What if it was me or my family member? How would I feel?"

We then began to discuss the need to show such people love. My friend had been talking about how people who are really sick need care, affection and affirmation. The reasoning behind this is that they can be made to feel like outcasts because of situations that are beyond their control such as their bodies giving up and becoming prone to diseases that no man can heal but only God can heal.

 Come to think of it now, I'm led to think of the lady in the Bible (Mark 5:24-34) who bled for 12 years. If the lady we saw was anything to go by then that lady really suffered. She was an outcast because of her illness and no one understood. She sought treatment, with the hope of being healed but all was in vain. She was all alone, in her pit of problems, that was until she heard about Jesus. She heard that the healer was nearby and she dared to believe. A belief so great it was almost silly-if we try to reason logically. Her reasoning was if she just touched the hem, not the whole cloak, not Jesus, but if she touched ONLY the HEM of HIS garment then she WOULD BE HEALED. And so it was, her faith made her well. One encounter with Jesus, followed by the confession that it was she who touched him and her explanation as to why, not only saw her set free but totally and fully healed. 

So what am I saying at the end of it all? Despite the hardened society and the degree of depravity of morals let not our hearts be hardened. May God open our eyes that we may be able to discern those that are in need from the deceitful who are out to endanger others. Let us not forget to be mindful and help where we can; in action through prayer-in whichever way. It is a tough call, I know-with the current times, why bother? 'There is no good in this world' we say, but we need to be the good, the light on the lamp stand, the salt of the earth. For you never know, one day it might be you or someone you love...What if everyone ignored you or them? How would you feel?

Till the next time,
Theng'e: Signing out!

3 comments:

  1. well put!!! indeed may God make us sensitive to doing His good, perfect and pleasing will on earth, may He us us to be His instruments!!

    wow!! an amazing interpretation of the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true!been going through the same thing..wondering who is genuine and who isn't...then our Sunday sermon was on Mat 9:36...
    When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless..
    Jesus first saw, then had compassion, then he later told them to pray to God for more workers for the harvest is plentiful... we should do the same, see...have compassion..pray for people..and harvest.
    Great work girl! xxx

    ReplyDelete