Saturday 14 January 2012

HOLD YOUR MOUTH AND YOUR POCKET!


Everyone knows how hard it is to watch a ‘How to Cook’ programme. If you are like my friends and I, the problem is not that the program is boring, no; but that the food is way out there and we are way out here.  It is so cruel! How do these chef’s make such delicious food, miles away and we do not even get to taste it?! We can only see it and imagine how it smells and tastes. Worse still, the million dollar question, who gets to eat all that food? Where does it go after the show; especially if it is one of those shows that do not have a live audience? All that good food, going to waste? It is a pity you cannot eat with your eyes, otherwise…I need not say more.

This scenario has presented a real issue many a times; of course for my friends and me. This is where a food programme pops up on you and causes you to get into a high craving resulting in heavy dipping into your pocket to satisfy your stomach. The other day in school, while taking a break, my pals and I were watching television. What do you know, a food programme came on and since there was nothing better to view we decided to watch it. ‘Why not, what is so bad about watching how to cook? It will definitely make me a super cook and master chef of some sort.’ I thought. What a fib!

They were doing a documentary on how to make some chocolaty confectionery of some sort. I was not paying attention. It all started with a display of the ingredients and then the explanation of how to combine ingredients. I kid you not, when they got into demonstrating how to mix the ingredients, that was the beginning of our downfall.  The mixture looked so smooth reminding me of black forest, whipped cream and even milkshake! (It's a wonder what the mind can do.) It did not take long for my cravings to kick in and in high gear, if I may add. I suddenly wanted a big slice of black forest cake and a vanilla milkshake. Either or both would be fine for me and I soon echoed my desires. In little or no time, peer pressure set in. My friends were all on board: we were all in agreement. In the next hour or so (we had to wait for a friend who had heard of the plan and decided to crash in) we were so going to have a cake: a black forest cake. Note that this was irrespective of whether we had enough money or not, or whether we were breaking into accounts we were not supposed to touch. Somehow things would sort themselves out and we would get to indulge.

After eating to our hearts delight and enjoying the rich creamy treat then did the groans begin. 
‘Hey, that spending has injured my pocket. No more random plans, ’ one of my pals echoed as she checked her purse.

Yet another friend said, ‘Guys, just seeing food can do this to us? Next time we better find a cheaper way to indulge,’

It sounds funny now when you think about it. At that time, however, it was not. We had just done a spree of spending just because of seeing food. Nowadays, when I’m with friends, if any of us puts on a program that has to do with food, the instant reaction are shouts and wails to change the programme as someone quickly reaches for the remote. This is to avoid triggering cravings that will cause rumbling stomachs and dented pockets. It is like eyes-to-hand-to-pocket-to-mouth syndrome. What we see we want and now; at whatever cost even if it is unplanned for.

In as much as they say money is the root of all evil I am beginning to see a new trend. Food and money=the new roots of evil.  As soon as we see food or someone eating or even the mere mention of it, we are quick to join the club and get to eating.

A good example is when you think of having a snack but decide not to because honestly, you are not hungry. Temptation sets in when you see someone eating. It could be the snack you wanted or something remotely different from what you wanted. Whichever it is, you are quick to go get a snack. At whatever cost you must have it, at least some of it. Later after eating you regret spending that money or even if you did not spend money, you regret eating. Who needs the extra calories?

Most of us fall prey to this chain reaction whereby we gorge ourselves silly at the mere sight of food. As long as one person is doing it, ‘It’s all good-we will cost share’. Call it peer pressure, a weakness- a great big weakness; whatever you may, it is not right. The worst thing is that we are always creating excuses so as to turn a blind eye to this bad habit.


In short, my dear friend, what I am telling you to do is hold your mouth and pocket lest you over indulge and end up broke and obese.


Till the next time: Theng'e signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment